This is a quick recipe that makes a great weekend breakfast. We recently had friends stay the weekend and it was a snap to prepare. I tossed it together prior to their arrival and set in the fridge overnight. Then in the morning while everyone is still getting around I placed in the oven to have everyone wake up to a cinnaminy smell coming from the kitchen. Overall, an easy recipe for a special weekend treat.
Prep: 20 minutes Chill: 4 Hours + Bake: 40 minutes Stand: 15 minutes
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 TBSP light-colored corn syrup
- 1 1 lb loaf cinnamon bread, sliced 1 inch thick
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 2 TSP vanilla
- 1 1/2 TSP salt
- In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup; cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Boil, uncovered, 1 minute. Pour into a 3-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Arrange bread slices on top of brown sugar mixture. Combine eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, and salt; pour over bread slices. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Let baking dish stand at room temperature while oven pre-heats. Bake uncovered, for 40 to 50 minutes or until top is browned and puffed and knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings.
This recipe from Better Homes and Gardens, Fast Fix Family Food, pg 400. An awesome cookbook if you ever see one!
Do you have any amazing weekend breakfast recipes that are family favorites?